Growing a Farmer

I have had a number of mixed feelings while going over the book “Growing a Farmer.” I very much enjoy the way Kurt Timmermeister, the author, structures his sentences and explains his farming experience in the Washington state. His writing style is soothing and perhaps at times a little too soothing that it made me too relaxed. On the other hand, I have also acquired new knowledge about what is a farmer life like. It is particular interesting to hear a personal story of someone, who changed from running a large restaurant in Seattle to a quiet and peaceful farm on an island off the city.

I was at first amazed by Timmermeister’s description of him getting honey from his bees and how much he explained that it was not “honey-stealing”, but a “symbolic relationship.” But then he later goes on questioning himself why his bees don’t survive through the winter and doesn’t ask himself to approach the problem. Timmermeister took himself on an adventurous journey to Vashon Island to start a farm, which was only the beginning. His original path of opening a business in the form of a Parisian-inspired style café at the age of twenty-four is a similar that I want to take. For example, I am about to graduate college at the age of twenty-three and ready to start my own business, which, most likely, won’t be about a French café, but will be another risky venture.

Comments

  1. I completely agree about the fact that sometimes the book makes you feel relaxed. I also found it really interesting and I learned a lot about the farmer's routine too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Born on Third Base

Lost in Japan

Coagula Curatorial @ Chung King Road in DTLA