Lost in Japan

In the Fall of 2017, my parents gave me a call explaining that they would love to visit me here in the United States. I thought that for them to make a long trip that consists of two flights, one over the whole country of Russia and another over the Atlantic Ocean, would be too much to ask for my short Thanksgiving break. Instead, I proposed a trip to Japan, a country that I had not travelled to before, but a country that my parents had visited 25 years ago, before I was even born.

Japan it was then, I thought. I sat down to create an extensive itinerary, while also asking some of good friends for recommendations. While the city of Tokyo has an endless list of things to offer, there was one part in particular that drew my attention. It was a branch of the Rapha Cycling Club (RCC) that I am a member of here in Los Angeles. Rapha allows its members to rent its extensive fleet of top of the line road bikes for at an affordable price. I immediately signed up for a two day bike rental to explore the hidden gems of Tokyo.

Not only I got to rent the bike, but the local team of the RCC members decided to show me around. And here's the anecdote. Imagine a team of four cyclists, but it's not an ordinary group of people. One member is a Japanese young man into his early thirties, who lived in London for the majority of his life and thus speaks beautiful British English and distinct Japanese, that the locals don't always understand. The other Japanese man has lived in Japan for all of his life and has not gotten to learn English besides the basic phrases, such as "hello" and "thank you." Additionally, there was a girl in the group, who was an international student from Ukraine, studying in Ukraine. She spoke fluent Japanese, quite fluent English with some Slavic accent and, of course, fluent Russian. And last, but not least, was I, who spoke only English and Russian, and only knew a few key phrases in Japanese, such as "arigato gozaimasu" and "konnichiwa", which stand for "thank you very much" and "hello", respectively. Nonetheless, our group of four riders, who were all coming with different backgrounds and sometimes were not even able to communicate clearly, were able to sneak into the backstreets of some famous Tokyo's shopping districts, top universities and delicious coffee shops. We made our trek to a hidden popular candy shop that only accepted cash and where one can only communicate in Japanese. As the sun started to rise and all I could see were the waves of Japanese workforce swiftly walking to their offices. At last, we made a stop at a warm coffee shop, where we got to refresh ourselves with some delicious, but, most importantly, hot coffee. I forgot to tell you that the temperatures were reaching close to the freezing point (32 F or 0 C).

If you were to ask me how my Thanksgiving break went and what were some of the most memorable memories from it, I would, of course, mention this story of a four cyclists of different backgrounds, who all shared one passion for cycling and adventure. I would also explain to you all the different mouthwatering meals that I had in Japan with my parents, but that would be a story for the time.

Comments

  1. Hi Bulat:

    In my opinion, traveling around Tokyo with a bike allows you to access places that are not accessible with a car. Traveling around Tokyo with a diverse group of individuals in terms of background probably helped you guys connect and develop memorable friendships especially given that you guys all share a mutual interest, which is to cycle. What was your favorite place in Tokyo? I love Japanese food as well especially sushi and high quality fish.

    Overall, very interesting blog post!

    Best,
    Amirteymour Moazami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bulat!

    WOW! This sounds like such a fun and unique Thanksgiving Break experience! It's amazing how your connection to the cycling word was able to provide you with so many connections in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must have been a awesome break!! I have always wanted to travel to Japan and experience all that it has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bulat!

    What an interesting story! I really enjoyed reading about your nontraditional Spring Break. My brother backpacked around Asia, including Japan, for a month after graduating college, and I am thinking about following in his footsteps. I would love to hear more about your experience and even learn about some of the places you recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bulat! Very cool story. I'm actually traveling to Japan this summer with my parents, and this post got me even more excited for the experience. Would love to get some more recommendations from you at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bulat!
    Visiting Japan is one of my biggest dreams and I love how you got to experience a more hidden side of it. When traveling, I love to hang out with locals and actually live the country and not just see al the tourist attractions!
    Loved the post!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bulat,

    This was a really cool blog and going on Thanksgiving break seems like a great getaway! I love the people and food of Japan and cant wait to go back. Would love to hear more about Rapha and your journey in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bulat! Your story is awesome and really spotlights some of Japan’s most fascinating characteristics. Every time I go to Japan, I grow more and more fascinated by the abundance of quirky shops and beautiful historical landmarks. Your cycling trip sounds incredible and I hope you still keep in touch with your wonderfully-mixed group of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Bulat!

    I have always been obsessed with the idea of visiting Japan! Seems like such a cool and futuristic city with such an interesting culture. Sounds like an incredible experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bluat,

    This sounds like an incredible trip. I've always wanted to see Japan. I think the language barrier is just part of complete immersion into a different culture — one of the coolest elements of traveling. Some are adverse to culture shock, but I believe it to be essential to a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Bulat,

    Sounds like you had a blast in Japan. The last time I visited Japan was when I was in elementary school. I plan to visit for a week or two this summer and I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Bulat!

    Wow this is actually so cool. I recall you saying you travelled a lot around the world and this is just another one of the examples. Thank you for sharing because this is making me excited for traveling the next couple of years,. Where in Japan did you get to go other than Tokyo? Next year in HK we have been told we are going on a Japan trip and I want to visit as much as I can!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Born on Third Base

Coagula Curatorial @ Chung King Road in DTLA