Job Description

Commis Chef
I like explaining to people about atypical summer internship I picked up a year ago over a summer. Many of my peers at the Marshall School of Business looked for summer internships at either large banks or prestigious consulting firms. When I explain that I worked as a Commis Chef, many people get puzzled of what exactly it means. Do you know? If yes, then you are among a small group of people. If not, please enjoy reading this job description.

A Commis Chef is a person, who performs food preparation work and basic cooking under the supervision of Head Chef. The reason many people don’t see us is that we spend most of our time in the back of kitchens.  

There are three descriptions that help to sum up the responsibilities of a Commis Chef:
·      Preparing ingredients
·      Operating kitchen equipment
·      Preparing food

Preparing Ingredients
This is a vital step that needs to be completed accurately and quickly
·      Portioning, chopping, and storage
·      Washing and peeling fruits and vegetables
·      Weighing and measuring mixed ingredients
For example, I spent most of my time either chopping or storing food items. Given that the restaurant was located in Russia, I had to chop tens of pounds of Russian staple food ingredient – potato. Preparing ingredients is one of the most important steps in a kitchen because it provides the foundation for all dishes.

Operating Kitchen Equipment
·      Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers
·      Test food if it has been properly cooked
Here’s an example: I also needed to make sure that all of the kitchen equipment is set up and works properly. This is another crucial step because I wanted to make sure to have all the necessary equipment ready for the Head Chef. The Head Chef would then go ahead and cook food to perfection.

Preparing Food
·      Cooking basic food according to recipes and restaurant-based standards
·      Preparing cold food
For instance, a Head Chef is usually the person, who completes the main steps of cooking dishes. As a Commis Chef, I wanted to make sure that some of the first basic steps, such as defrosting or setting up a kitchen table, were done for the Head Chef to do the rest of the job.





Comments

  1. Hey Bulat! Thats awesome that you want to go into the culinary industry. That has been a huge dream of mine but I was just always too scared to take the leap. Do you cook at home? Also what was your reason for cooking? I did it because I loved creating a masterpiece that was devoured in less than 20 minutes. Last question I promise, do you have an odd obsession of watching Gordan Ramsey videos like me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bulat, I think chefs are amazing for people who love food like me. My dad is also a chef and it can be physically draining if kitchen gets busy. I hope you pursue this career successfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bulat! Working as a chef must be a hectic career, I really respect the passion you have for good food. What kind of dishes do you like preparing the most? What are your favorite restaurants in LA? What's Siberian cuisine like? All the best for your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bulat, I found it very interesting and brave of you to take an internship outside your field of study. I really respect your open mindedness and willingness to experience new things. After watching endless hours of youtube food videos, I have always wanted to learn how to cook properly so your post really fascinated me. What was your favorite dish at the kitchen/restaurant you interned in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bulat, I did not expect to read about your time as a chef when I first opened this blog post. However, after reading your description, working as a Commis Chef seemed very rewarding. Picking to work in an industry outside of your field of study can be daunting but it is essential for learning new and important skills. I am sure there will be people throughout your life that you impress with your cooking abilities (nothing impresses quite like food).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bulat, being a chef is an incredible job! I am so jealous of your abilities considering I am unable to cook anything that requires more than microwave preparation. What is your favorite dish to make? I would love to learn some new recipes and try my hand at making them (hopefully without burning my apartment down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bulat! I really enjoyed talking with you about this position in class when we edited each other's job descriptions. You did a great job giving examples of your experience, and it seems like you learned a lot as a Commis Chef. Do you plan to work in the culinary industry in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My buddy Adam worked as a chef 2 summers ago, and I was very jealous. The man can cook like no other. It's always great when you find a job that lets you walk away with a hard skill that you keep forever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Born on Third Base

Lost in Japan

Coagula Curatorial @ Chung King Road in DTLA